By default your softphone will throw a '404' error when dialing out if the area code is not preceded by the number 1. This affects your ability to use the redial feature or to call a number stored in your phone's contact list.
To get around this, complete the following steps using a Zoiper soft phone.(Free edition)
- Open Zoiper.
- Click config, located at the top right.
- Click your account to begin modifying your settings.
- Scroll down the list and click number rewriting.
- Check the box that says strip characters
- Add the following characters to be stripped: -() +.
- Click overwrite international dialing code
- Scroll to the bottom of the list and select Other
- Delete the + symbol, leave empty and click save.
This will strip out all non-numeric characters from the caller id string and add a 1 in front of the number.